One student's blog about the experiences of creating a hypothetical, but hopefully awesome, social marketing campaign

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Estimating Customer Value

I feel like my brain is exploding from finals.

Also: What the F campaign, I was looking at pictures of genital warts last night, which is disturbing, I know. And it's not helping my brain pain either.

Things that I'm considering: I don't want to scare people, but I do want to inspire them to care enough to get vaccinated, and it's different for boys because they don't get cervical cancer or possible infertility from its complications. (So there's that).

Which brings me to what we discussed in class which is estimating customer value. And the values really do relate to which theme I'll choose for the marketing campaign, so that all of the stakeholders are on board, with the same views and points to give.

Benefits:
Sexual Attractiveness: No warts = happy young men (this might be the most FUN thing to market, and funny, however, it would only target young men and maybe their dads? But not so much parents, unless it was about "avoiding embarrassment")
Health: This is the most wide ranging topic, because it can target doctors, parents, and the young men to be vaccinated, and can talk about warts & cervical cancer
Good-Parent/Pride/Caregiver: I'm a good parent if I get my kid vaccinated, feeling responsible (but this ONLY targets parents, so I should think about if I want to go this route, since they do have a lot of clout, and are gatekeepers for those 9-18, but even so, less inclusive/fun)

Costs:
Time: Getting a vaccination takes an appointment, and making time for it/transportation/etc. can be a barrier. This could be fought by making the vaccine easily available like in drug stores (or better yet, sporting events like college basketball/football, etc. Can that be a thing?)
Money: The shots cost money, and they are costly. But they have great benefit too, and hopefully will be covered by insurance, either way, it can be a barrier. However, a lot of clinics give it for free or at significantly reduced costs, so maybe making that information known on the website or something.
FEAR: And this is huge, people are afraid of side-effects, and the statistically small but possible chance of death, and a lot of people are really afraid and untrusting of vaccines in general, so this is a big one. Statistically, the side-effects are very minimal, and usually end with some soreness at the spot of injection in the arm.

Now, I think (and asked a n=1 of a boy) that the sexual attractiveness would be the most effective. People are vain, they don't want genital warts, and boys don't want another barrier into getting into someone's pants, and don't want embarrassment in that region. However, that sort of campaign could also backfire and turn off a lot of parents. (But AXE works like crazy for young boys, and their parents buy them the sprays/deodorants despite absurdly raunchy ads, so where is the moral outcry for that?)
Also, most guys (this is based on an n=3 or so, but even so I'll go ahead and generalize) don't even know that they HPV vaccine has been approved for them, so AWARENESS might be the way to go. But do I still have to focus on health? Either way it would be a no-warts campaign, since that is the real effect on men since they don't get cervical cancer, but can I do awareness and sexual attractiveness. I think yes, but do I want to discount parents? It could really target whoever AXE/Trojan targets, which is more like 12-26, so then I'm only missing a few years. But boys can autonomously buy Axe & condoms(maybe) while they can't just go get a vaccine as a minor on their own, but maybe could pressure their parents. And making a website for parents too would help. I would rather have concurrent ads, one targeting parents and one with sexual attractiveness targeting men, but for the purposes of this project I guess I have to focus.

I want television ads, especially for awareness, because I think it's the most reach for something new. There can be print ads too, maybe in sports magazines and parenting magazines. And when I say television, I mean hulu & the internet too, and a corresponding website with more information, which Gardasil already has, but they could have a more targeted one for men.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers