One student's blog about the experiences of creating a hypothetical, but hopefully awesome, social marketing campaign

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Segmentation

If segmentation is about finding similarities rather than difference, then I want to include as many people into my target audience as possible, as long as it's applicable. So parents of 9-26 males, and the males themselves.

Sometimes though, I have a really difficult time conceptually translating concepts of the Big Picture as related to commercial marketing to those regarding health behaviors. I get it when it's still about money, and stealing share from similar places for donations or volunteers, but what about when I am the only competitor? Gardasil is the only available hpv vaccine in the US. Sweet sweet patent, what do you mean for my variables?

Source of Volume: Stimulate Demand
Marketing Objective: Acquisition

But heart loyals, head loyals, and hand loyals, what of it? There is no hand loyal for a vaccine that you have to make an appointment to get. (Is there?). And heart loyal, maybe if you're passionate about preventing cervical cancer because of familial experiences, etc, but it's not heart loyal to the product, but rather the cause, and I want people to get the product (1st shot of the vaccine, my goal). So head loyals, and acquisition, hello, nice to meet you, let me tell you some great things about a sweet vaccine that helps you not get genital warts, helps you big time.

For my area of segmentation, since I'm not doing steal share, I just have a Main Variable. But, I think Gardasil, as the only player in the category of hpv vaccination in the US, wins.

But, in the interest of "need for 'attitude/benefit'" the belief is that the vaccine is worthwhile, that it does what is proposes to do, cuts cervical cancer and genital warts incidence rates.

Gardasil is the category leader of hpv vaccinations that prevent against the least desirable forms of hpv.

Values associated with Gardasil: safety, efficacy, comfort, convenience, security, empowerment, autonomy, control, quality of life, caring (good parent), logic (it's the safer thing to do for the future, this really combines some of them like security)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers